Wednesday 8 June 2016

City with No Children

"Feels like I've been liiiiiiving in; a city with nooooo chiiiiildren in it"

One fun thing about my birthday here, June 1st, is that it's National Children's Day. Last year on Maio, I thought it was a big deal, but MAN. Here in Praia was a different story. I'm pretty sure 90% of the population here went and hit up the beach. Relatively nothing was open :P it was fun though :) 
Yet another selfie with Elder Penner (if we could only read his mind...."Stop with the selfies Massey...enough already!)
 This was a pretty happening week. We had Zone Conference on Tuesday, and since Maio makes up a part of the zone, we got to have the two elders from there come in for a bit, and they got to hang out with us. It was a lot of fun for me, because I got to go on a division with Elder Cannon, who also started on Maio, and is only on his 3rd transfer. It reminded me of a year ago when I, on my third transfer, got to see civilization for the first time to come to a Zone Conference. It kinda let me look in a mirror from a year ago. It was a lot of fun. We got to have them stay in our house a couple nights, and I basically had to hide from Elder Cannon telling stuff about Star Wars to the other elders. It was torture. 

Zone Conference rocked. President taught us about repentance and its role in help our investigators not only baptize in the church, but become converted. Sister Mathews taught us about how we need to be tools (but not in a bad way :P haha), that we aren't the teacher, but it's the Holy Ghost who does it. All in all it was a lot of fun. President tried to get me to sit next to him at lunch but I sorta ran and sat by Elder McMullin. Didn't want him to get mad at me for me shoes like he usually does :P hahaha. 

For my birthday on Wednesday, we showed up to the office for a meeting we had with President and Sister Mathews, and the Alvarez couple, and when I'd showed up, Sister Mathews presented me with a birthday cake she made for me. I was shocked. I had to wait til after the meeting to eat it, but it was awesome. Sister Mathews is the bomb. After we celebrated with a bacon pizza, we did some teaching, and met up with our ward mission leader and the Sisters in our ward for correlation, to which the Sisters made me ANOTHER cake, and Chidu, our ward mission leader, brought a two liter of Vimto. It was so powerful. My birthday, though not perfect, ended out really solid :) I got home pretty darn happy that night. Just made it even better that I got so many spoils to enjoy in my package. MY MOM IS THE BEEEST :D
The birthday package explosion...
 

We've been able to teach Adalei more this week, and MAN is he amazing. We were teaching him the plan of salvation, and started to talk about the resurrection, to which he interrupted us and said, "yeah, sorry to interrupt, but that just reminds me of a scripture I read in the Book of Mormon, that says, 'every knee shall bow and every tongue confess the Christ' ". I had to stop myself from having my jaw straight up drop in our lesson. When we taught him the Word of Wisdom, he was like, "my dad always taught me never to use those things. He said they cause harm". It's amazing how incredibly prepared he his. He showed up to a conference we had on Sunday at 7am, when church didn't start til 10am. Granted, he forgot we didn't have regular church at 8:30am, but still, he ended up spending 5 hours sitting at church on Sunday. He's a BOSS. He's still looking really good for baptism this Saturday. It's an incredible tender mercy we've had, to be able to teach him. 
At Stake Conference on Sunday
 One funny thing from this week, when we had the Maio Elders over to our house, they saw a Jelly Belly game I got in my package that has identical jelly beans of good and awful flavors. Elder Cannon had seen it before, and taught us all how to play, and it was hilarious. I got to try jelly beans like dog food, vomit, rotten eggs, and baby wipes. Elder Penner got the worst though, he got every single bad flavor :P hahaha. It was a good prank to play on the APs, I put them on my desk the next day, and when they came in, Elder Mendenhall was like "SWEET!" and popped a jelly bean into his mouth, and then looked at me in horror, with a sorta look of 'WHAT IS THIS??' hahaha. It was so classic. 

Hope this has been a good update :) LOVE Y'ALL!

Elder Massey

No comments:

Post a Comment