Monday 1 August 2016

Gotta Get Away

I got thrown through a loop this week!

So, I had fully prepared myself these past two weeks that I would stay another transfer in the office, so I had sorta sucked it up, got my complaining out, and got focused in on work again. But, more on that in a bit. 

I got to go on a division with our Zone Leaders this week, I got to go with Elder Frei, which was funny for me, because he came in with Elder Mason, who I trained about a year ago now, and now, Elder Frei is my ZL. It was fun, because I got to go to his area, which is always fun. Everything was falling through on us, so he decided we would go into an apartment building, and start knocking. I've never been much of a door knocker, so I wasn't super pumped about it, but I went along with it. We were lucky enough to find a guy, named Joel, who was willing to let us in straight up and talk, which was super cool. It gave me a strengthened testimony of how to push for new investigators, it was good :) Elder Frei was super chill too so that was fun. 

We had marked Belarmino for baptism for the 30th, but as this week went on, it became apparent he probably wouldn't be baptized. He's mentioned to us he's going through some personal stuff right now, which we respect. Since he's more of a quiet, shy guy, rather than being open about his problems, he kept them more to himself, which is all cool. It just makes it harder for us to help. We've kept him in our prayers, and showing up for all 3 hours of church this week really helped him I think. He's super close, he just needs a little more time. He's one of my favorite investigators I've ever taught. 

We kept working with Mundinho and Nixi for marriage in September, and we've felt we're making progress. They're sorta slower movers, and are kinda hung up on the idea that marriage is a big thing (which it is). We're working on them making the baby steps they need to make this whole big thing happen. One little step goes a long way. This week, they expressed real intent when we talked about preparing for marriage and baptism in September, and said they would continue to pray about it. It's literally just this one thing that's holding them up from getting baptized! Gah! 

Another miracle we've found in our area is an older investigator we have named Ana. I'm not sure how much I've talked about her in the past, but basically, she's not an investigator we would normally teach, due to the fact that she's older, can't read, and comprehension isn't the best. However, every time we go to teach her, the Spirit is there super strong, and she is able to understand us, if not completely, then to a very good extent. She's incredible. She lost two children and two fingers on her right hand in an accident a few years back, and has been more or less lonely ever since. When we teach her, I always feel a strong confirmation that we're supposed to be there helping her. It's really so cool. This week we marked her for baptism at the end of the month of August. It's boss. 

Friday was an interesting day. President Mathews had texted us the night before saying we wold have our monthly housing and finance meeting, which normally doesn't happen til the first Friday of the month. Our meeting went all normal and was good, and afterwards, I was getting President to sign some cheques and other boring things, and we were talking a bit, and he asked me, "how are you Elder Massey? Are you happy?" to which I told him, "you know, I am happy. I've accepted I'm doing another one in the office, so it should all be good, I'm excited :)", to which President looked at me all smug-like, and told me, "weeeeell, you're not gunna stay another one" (which shocked me since I knew pretty well all of transfers) and Elder Mortensen, who was standing beside me, started to laugh, and told me they had messed with me when they gave me information about a few transfers. I told President Mathews, "well, give me my transfer call then, let's go!". He told me I would get my one wish, which was to train again. Only thing is, since I'm training, means I'll be whitewashing an area. I'm not getting transferred far, literally going back to the same ward I served in 6 months ago here in Praia, just in the other area, Terra Branca. I'm really excited about it :) 

In my office tenure coming to a close, I've learned a million things, and can't begin to list them all. My first week here I decided this was going to be a positive experience for me, and since then, it really has been :) I've loved these last 6 months, and they've been some of the happiest 6 months of my life. 

As much as I would love to write more, I've gotta stop here. Today's email time is gunna be cut short because of driving transfers. Since my next companion doesn't come in til Thursday, I've still got a few days in this area, and a few more times to drive the mission Hiace :) 

Love y'all! 
Elder Massey, the Greatest Office Elder Who Ever Lived

No comments:

Post a Comment